This is yet another quiet activity for Tuesday mornings when Baby Emma is napping. While Bug got bored quickly with each plateful of milk, he did really enjoy making numerous new platefuls with different colors. All in all, we had a good time with this one!
Here’s what you need:
- A cup or two of Milk (whole works best)
- A small amount of oil – baby oil, vegetable oil, olive oil… I’m pretty sure they’d all work. I used vegetable.
- Food coloring
- Toothpicks or bamboo picks
- Plastic plates (or something similar)
Pour enough milk in a plate to cover the bottom. You really don’t need much. Place several food coloring drops onto the milk. Bug had a great time picking which colors to use and where the drops should go. Dip your pick into the oil and then touch the food coloring drops with it. The reaction between the oil & the milk causes the paint to spread.
Swirl the colors around. Make it pretty. Repeat. If you’re like us, repeat a whole bunch of times.
Some ideas for expansion:
- Use the plates of colorful milk as paint.
- Take pieces of white paper and lay a piece on top of the plate of colored milk. Lift straight up and let dry. Pretty swirly paper is the end result. Card stock would work better than just plain printer paper, like I used. Also, not leaving the prints out it the rain would help, too.
Easy, fun activity using things you probably already have!